The Hall Memorial Library opened in 1903 as the town's first free public library. It was built as a gift to the town from Francis Hall, in honor of his father, Judge John Hall and his brother, Edward Hall, headmasters of the world-renowned Hall School. Francis Hall died before construction was complete. The 5,000 square foot state-of-the-art building contained stack areas, a reading room, children's room and museum. The 2nd story was designated as a picture gallery and public meeting space.
The library operated without much structural change until 1992, when a 19,000 square foot addition was completed. The current facility is home to a 70,500 volume collection in various media. The library serves the Ellington community of approximately 15,000 people as an important resource for education and recreation for all the citizens.
Hall Memorial Library 1903
The library occupies a place of honor at the head of the town green in beautiful north central Connecticut. We are located about 15 minutes northeast of Connecticut's capital city, Hartford.